Sunday, September 30, 2007

What happens next?

That seems to be the most common question we are hearing these days, so here goes. As Amber said, our plan is leave on the 8th. That still could change, because we still have to get our visas completed and our passports sent back to us by a visa expediting company (Thank you Connie!). Once we have them, and a few more confirmations go around the world to Kaz & back, we'll be all set. We should know for sure in a few days.
Next (as it stands now), on the 8th we'll drive down to JFK (or get a ride), fly across the Atlantic, land in Germany for a few hours (quite a few actually, and Frankfurt if you're curious), fly across the rest of Europe & a chunk of Asia to Almaty, rest up a bit (hopefully in a hotel room), meet one of our coordinators, be given the tickets for a flight from Almaty to Kaz (no idea really how long this is, I'm guessing a few hours), make the flight (this is now the 10th), meet another coordinator in Kaz, drive w/ another couple to the orphanage (they are actually called baby houses), meet the babies, and try to make our choice!
Deep Breath...
Now, we pick out our baby (which I am looking forward to and terrified of at the same time), and spend 22 days in Kaz, spending 4 hours a day (2 on Sunday) with our baby, while people in the background get paperwork and everything else processed to make this all official. We have a short court date before we come home, then Amber & I will return, get everything else done at home that we need to for a few weeks (2-4 I think), then we fly back to Almaty, pick up our baby, do some more paperwork & stuff (stuff is the technical term for I have no idea), and come home as a family. The second trip should be only a few days over there, so it'll be pretty hectic.
I've signed us up for a web slide show thing, so as long as everything continues as planned, there should be plenty of pictures by the middle of next week!!!!!!! It still feels a little surreal, but I think once we actually get on the plane, it will hit me.

11 comments:

Tazsa & Lance said...

We're so thrilled for the two of you! Can't wait for pictures! Yipee!

Jeannine said...

Amber & Jason-- great news! I can't wait to read how your adventure continues.. BTW, I live on Long Island, about a half hour (depending on the time of day) from JFK-- so if you have an early flight and need a place to crash the night before, you are welcome..

Anonymous said...

I would have posted earlier, but I thought you weren't adding this to the blog yet. YEAH!!!!!! You guys are going to be parents in a little over a week! I can't wait for book study when you get back, we'll have quite the big happy family. Congrats!

Unknown said...

I was thinking I should give you guys a shirt I've worn and haven't washed to put with the baby so she/he'll know their "uncle" Shawn by smell. ; )

marsrob said...

Congratulations! This is wonderful and we are so happy for you guys! We are adopting from Kazakhstan as well - and will be traveling to Semey hopefully soon. We are now waiting for our LOI! We are SOOO happy for you - especially in light of everything you have been through! We send you our best and hope you have safe travels!
Not that you have 2 seconds, but if you are ever interested in accessing our blog at some point, email us at jennylri@yahoo.com. It is password protected.
Here's to your growing family!!

Anonymous said...

H H PPPPP PPPPP
H H P P P P
H H P P P P
H H PPPPP PPPP
H H P P y y
HHHHHH P P y y
H H aaaaa P P y y
H H a a P P yy
H H a a P P y
H H aa a aP P y
H H aaa aP P yy
For You!!!

Anonymous said...

Delete my last post, I spelled out happy all cool, but it posted it wrong! Doesnt really matter, our family is all very happy for your family. Looking forward to the new edition. Let us know if we should get pink or blue yankees and Giants jerseys.

Kristan and Mark said...

Congratulations!

Just a few more days.

I've been trying to remember the name of the convertor that we bought, but haven't had any luck yet. I think we googled Mallegans (spelling?) and that's how we found it. Sorry I haven't been much help in that area.

Anonymous said...

Well The Choudhris are as excited as can be for you and your wife.This has been the longest pregnancy ever! We all hope everything goes as planned/scheduled from here on out. As the old adage says;
good things never come easy
Dean and Tracey Choudhri

Jeannine said...

Amber & Jason-- I have Dr. Schulte' new contact info.. I sent it to one of your email accounts (I think gmail).. I hope it helps..

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you. this has taken quite a while and we are so so so happy that you will finally meet your baby. we can't wait to see pictures and to actually see our new niece or nephew. we are praying all will go well. we love you very much!
love,
Dan and Amber
aka Uncle Puck and Auntie Amber

Hit Counter

Amazing Counters