Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ava Ava Ava Ava Ava

Amber mentioned a video, so here it is. It’s a Windows media file, so I hope you all can see it. The little giggles you hear are hers. She is even cuter and sweeter in person (of course!).

The last 2 days we’ve had no hot water. Apparently that is controlled by the city. The city also controls everyone’s heat. According to Olga, when they are turning the heat on (which they are doing right now), you lose hot water for anything from half a day to a couple of days. Looks like we are hitting the 2 day mark. We think that’s why the water was brown too, though we’ll find out when the water comes back on. The last 2 nights we’ve lost power, and when they lose power, EVERYTHING is black. I’ve been asleep both times, but according to Richard and Amber it’s just total darkness. The only light we had was the light from the laptop screen.

Someone had asked if we are in a good neighborhood in one of the comments (yes, we are reading them all, and thank you!), and I would say that we are. There are some other apartment buildings we’ve seen that look nowhere near as nice as this one on the outside, but it’s hard to say. We really have no idea about crime in general in Karaganda, but I’ll ask Olga today. Every time she looks at me she says, “Questions?” I guess I just look like I’m about to ask her something which I usually am. I find the area fascinating. So here are some more things I’ve learned.

The mall that has the grocery store we’ve been going to has a currency exchanger right inside where they will exchange dollars, rubles, tenge, euro’s, pounds, etc. for each other. I’ve been changing dollars for tenge, but I saw a guy go in and come out with a large bundle of dollars, and found that odd. I guess that though people get paid in tenge and everything day to day is in tenge, people save money in dollars or euro’s at their banks, you buy cars and apartments in dollars, and due to the proximity to Russia / China there is a fair amount of that currency around too. It’s not just for us adoptive parents :). They have quite the global economy.

Kazakh has become the official language here as well, though everyone we’ve talked to speaks Russian. They all describe Kazakh as a very complicated language, 42 character alphabet, odd pronunciations, etc. I have the problem that everybody tries talking to me in Russian. I guess I look like I fit in. So I’m glad I learned how to say “I don’t understand Russian” in Russian. Very helpful. If you want to fit in, dress nice, walk purposefully, and don’t smile unless you are talking to someone else. It’s actually interesting watching reactions when I tell them I don't understand. Some find it amusing, some seem annoyed.

In the apartment we have this little front-loading washing machine that has a dryer built in too. It’s been very useful to have! The apartment itself has 2 doors on the entry. The outer one locks with this 5 bolt mechanism that probably goes 3 inches into the wall! It reminds me of a bank vault type of lock. The inner just has a dead bolt. Most TV is in Russian, with a fair amount of American stuff overdubbed in Russian. I watched some of “Scrubs” yesterday in Russian. They have the North American Sports Network as well, so I’ve seen some college football as well as some NHL and MLB. No Sports Center sadly. The music on the radio is a mix of Russian and American. We heard Brittney Spears, Ricky Martin, and even a hip-hop version of a Pink Floyd song.

Driving is an experience! Everyone has the right of way. Cars zoom around each other with apparent disregard for anything else on the road, including people! Pedestrians likewise just walk across the road taking their time, with cars coming within inches of them. Our drivers have been very nice, but they speak no English, so interaction has been minimal. If you are coming over, just be prepared to muffle your yelps of fear while riding along.

That’s it for the Karaganda update. My baby girl fell asleep in my arms for the first time today. I am putty.

16 comments:

cambriadoly said...

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH she is just too cute!!! I want to kiss her!! Love the video and the picture of her asleep in Daddy`s arms. What a blessing from Jehovah!! You guys are radiant...thanks for sharing all of this with us..we are really enjoying it! Love Deb and Jude

Unknown said...

Great stuff! She is absolutely the cutest little girl. Hopefully you guys will be able to shower when you get back tonight. We're thinking about you guys all the time.

Anonymous said...

Hi to the three of you! We are still having problems sending a comment. Hope this works,we love getting updates each time. Keep it up. Love the Burkey's

Anonymous said...

Jason, that picture of your baby girl in your arms is so precious, and Amber you look gorgeous in the pictures, we have all been talking about how good you look. Motherhood suits you. This blog is becoming an addiction for us, keep all the updates coming.

Love,
Harm

Anonymous said...

Aidan corrected me when I accidentally said "Do you want to see video of Eva?" Then he informed us that the little feet you see running behind Ava are him, so he's there with you guys all the way, and wants you to kiss her for him.

Anonymous said...

JUST WANTED TO SAY WE LOVE HOW AVA HOLDS DADDYS SHIRT AND LOOKS AROUND FOR EACH OF YOU WHEN SHE'S BEING HELD BY THE OTHER,AND HER FALLING ASLEEP IN DADDY'S ARMS IT'S ALL SOOOOO SWEET!! SHE IS SO BRIGHT, ALERT AND HAPPY, AND HOW REASSURING TO HAVE THE DOC'S POSITIVE SIGNAL, LIKE A BONUS TO IT ALL. LOVE FROM THE BURKEY'S

Anonymous said...

Brennan says the video is funny and all that pictures are great.

Anonymous said...

I just can't wait to hold her and play with her, she is SO beautiful!I can't wait to go shopping for her! I have her little face memorized in my mind, and now I will memorize that little giggle. I love you all! Love Mom and Bill

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the video. She is just wonderful. You guts are lucky indeed. Thank you for keeping us all updated........she is the talk of the town.
Lisa

Susan said...

she is SO adorable! I love the video.
Bummer on the hot water though-but that seems to happen a lot (in my blog stalking, it seems you are not alone) but WAY cool you have a dryer!! I didn't think anyone had those.
Your bambino is precious-and i'm so happy for you. So nice we can follow along. It's the best!
I hear all the women there are "hot", so that you fit in and everyone speaks Russian to you just means you're a qualifed Hottie. :)

Thanks for sharing Ava with us.
It makes it so nice to read blogs while we're waiting to go.
She is truly precious. :)

Sonya said...

Ava is just so beautiful!

And she is obviously "Daddy's little girl"! What a great picture.

I really hope the heat and water will be working correctly really soon. Thanks for all the comments about Karaganda. I am taking it all in. You may have said at some point, but which baby house are you visiting? I think we will be going to Myalutka. Something like that!

Can't wait till more updated tomorrow!

Sonya

Unknown said...

Ava is soooo beautiful and seems to be so sweet. I am so happy for you both. I look forward to your posts each morning. Spencer says hi, and that he misses you, hehe.

Jim said...

We are so thrilled for you. She is adorable. Jim F.

Tazsa & Lance said...

Okay, so what is Ava doing in about 20 years, cause I think her and Noah would be a great match. She is absolutely, over-the-top cute!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the video! She is just too sweet!! Love her giggles! Such a happy baby! We can't wait to see her in person and squeeze those cute little cheeks. She is just so adorable! We love you all! Love,
Uncle Puck and Auntie Amber

Anonymous said...

Hi Amber and Jason
Patti Wilkes just showed me your site. The baby is beautiful. Cant wait to meet her in person.
love patti van slyke

Hit Counter

Amazing Counters