Friday, November 2, 2007

Google Earth, etc.

I thought some of you out there might find this interesting. I had a lot of fun looking at Kazakhstan with Google Earth before we went, and thought that perhaps some of you might like to see where exactly these places are. So first off, you need to have Google Earth installed. You can get it for free here.
Next, you can download these 3 "placemark" files to your computer.
  • First the Shapagat Orphanage.
  • Next the airport we flew in to. When we flew out, I saw 9 employees in the whole building, and ours was the only airplane there!!
  • Last, here is the apartment we stayed at.
Finally, in Google Earth, you can choose "File" then "Open", then open each of the 3 files above. Google Earth will show you the locations. Enjoy! Around the apartment in particular there are a lot of pictures of the region including buildings and the street we stayed on.
Our travel time from apartment to home on our return trip was 40 hours! I had thought I would be accomplishing a lot more at home after the return, but this jet lag isn't fun. Oddly I didn't notice any jet lag on the trip out, but the return is another thing entirely. I hope our layovers on the way back on our second trip with Ava are much shorter.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi! I did especially enjoy looking at the one where I could click on the little cameras and see pictures of places there! Also; it was interesting to see where you were!
I hope you're recovering from jet lag, getting rested up, etc. Soon Ava will be there with you! Take care! Love, Cindy

Unknown said...

Hi Amber and Jason,
We hope you get this message. Our names are Andrew and Sarah and we are in Kaz right now. Our son is in Ava's room and we see her every day! She is precious and doing great! We believe you live in upstate NY which we do as well. Can you e-mail us at skeyes2@nycap.rr.com so we can contact each other?

Hit Counter

Amazing Counters